EU members responses to the growing refugee crisis lurched between plans for immediate expulsion and selective acceptance Thursday as Sweden, the Netherlands and Britain grappled with the waves of migrants trekking across their borders.

The European Union's 28 member states have struggled for months to get a handle on an ongoing migration crisis that saw more than 1 million migrants and refugees reach Europe last year - most of them through Greece.

The surge has not abated in January, despite the danger of crossing the Aegean Sea from Turkey in winter. The UN refugee agency UNHCR has registered more than 44,000 arrivals since the start of this year.

With no end in sight, Sweden is preparing for the expulsion of up to 80,000 people whose asylum bids have been rejected, a cabinet member said Thursday.

Between 60,000 and 80,000 rejected asylum seekers could be sent home, Home Affairs Minister Anders Ygeman was quoted by financial daily Dagens Industri as saying.

The record 163,000 people who applied for asylum in Sweden in 2015 - mostly from Syria and Afghanistan - strained resources and capacity at reception centres and local municipalities.

"We have a large challenge ahead," Ygeman said.

The time it takes to process an asylum application in Sweden has steadily increased with the country's migration influx. A process that took, on average, 122 days in 2013 could now take at least a year, a Migration Agency spokeswoman told dpa.

Police and migration authorities have been instructed to prepare and foster better cooperation for the expulsions.

A rejected asylum seeker's voluntary return was preferable, Ygeman told Swedish television, "but ultimately we have to be prepared to use force" and act against employers who exploit those staying in Sweden without permission.

Missing identity papers could delay or hinder the expulsions, as governments could reject their own nationals without proof of citizenship, Mikael Ribbenvik, deputy director of Sweden's Migration Agency, told Swedish Radio.

Stockholm was already in talks with Afghanistan and Morocco about the return of citizens from those countries.

Further south, a ruling party politician in the Netherlands went public with a plan to ship back refugees who illegally arrived on EU shores in Greece, saying the scheme could be implemented in the near future by a core group of EU member-states.

Social Democrat party leader Diederik Samsom said Thursday that, under the plan, refugees would be ferried back to Turkey if they arrived in Greece illegally.

As a counterweight to the measure, the EU would allow as many as 250,000 refugees to enter the 28-member bloc from Turkey if they follow legal immigration protocol.

The plan was proposed by the Netherlands, which currently holds the EU presidency, and would also involve Germany, Austria and Sweden.

Heads of state have already discussed the plan during talks in December in Brussels, according to Samsom, and additional steps could be taken at the EU summit in February.

"It is a better alternative than closing the borders," Samsom said

In comments carried earlier by Dutch daily De Volkskrant, the Dutch politician the first ferries from Greece to Turkey could begin running in March or April.

Amnesty International called the plan "fundamentally flawed" and "morally bankrupt", noting that it would effectively seal off borders and illegally return refugees without due process or the chance to apply for to asylum.

Meanwhile, Britain's offer to resettle several hundred children from refugee camps on Syria's borders was blasted by refugee groups for ignoring the thousands of unaccompanied Syrian children already stranded in Europe.

The government said it has asked the UN refugee agency "to identify exceptional cases of unaccompanied children whose needs cannot be met in the region and whose best interests would be met through protection in the UK."

The resettlement of children from refugee camps is a "step forward," the London-based Refugee Council said, but it fails to recognize that "refugees [in Europe] are fleeing the same atrocities as those the government is choosing to resettle."

The government said it expected the UNHCR to "identify several hundred children who will be resettled here," adding that the move will add to an earlier commitment to resettle 20,000 Syrians from refugee camps by 2020.

In a separate move, the government's development agency will use a 10-million-pound (14-million-dollar) fund to support vulnerable refugee children in Europe.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.