The axe attacker who injured seven people at Dusseldorf train station on Thursday night acted alone and suffered from mental health problems, police have said in a statement.
Authorities said that the man is a 37-year-old from the former Yugoslavia, who currently lives in the western German city of Wuppertal and "obviously suffers from mental health problems."
Station authorities were first alerted to the attack at 8:50 pm (1950 GMT). The man allegedly attacked passengers on a local train before also swinging the axe at members of the public in the train station's main hall.
Three people were seriously injured, while four others sustained minor injuries, police said.
"German federal police were on the scene very, very quickly and were able to make sure the situation was static and that victims were being looked after," a spokesman told journalists, as he described the moments after the attack.
He said that when police pursued the suspect he jumped from a bridge.
"He injured himself badly and is now being treated in hospital," the spokesman said, before adding that the person had been arrested and the axe seized.
Train services into Dusseldorf station were temporarily cancelled or rerouted before the station was re-opened after midnight local time.
A major search of the station was also conducted, including a number of trains where passengers were forced to stay on board. A police helicopter was also seen circling above the station.
The city's mayor, Thomas Geisel, expressed his sympathy to victims of the attack, writing on Twitter: "Our thoughts are with the injured after the terrible act at Dusseldorf main train station. Thanks to all emergency services."
In July of last year, a 17-year-old asylum seeker, carrying a knife and an axe, launched an attack on a regional train near the city of Wuerzburg, injuring five.