Costa Concordia case since shipwreck on January 13, 2012

A timeline of events since the Costa Concordia cruise ship ran aground January 13, 2012, off the Italian island of Giglio, killing 32 of the 4,229 people aboard.

January 14, 2012 - Captain Francesco Schettino is taken into custody. He is suspected of having steered the Concordia off its route to salute people on Giglio, in a stunt that had apparently been performed before.

January 17 - Schettino is placed under house arrest. A transcript leaked to Italian media indicates that he ducked port authority orders to get back on the ship, which he abandoned before the evacuation of all passengers.

April 21 - US company Titan Salvage and Italian marine contractor Micoperi win the contract to remove the Concordia from Giglio's shore. It is the biggest-ever naval salvage operation of its kind.

May 7 - Schettino is freed from house arrest but ordered not to leave Meta di Sorrento, his hometown near Naples. The restriction is lifted a year later, making the captain a free man on bail.

September 13 - A leaked expert report commissioned by investigators suggests that an executive from Costa Crociere shared responsibility with Schettino in mishandling the evacuation of the ship, and highlights shortcomings in safety and staff training.

February 25, 2013 - Prosecutors indict Schettino on charges of manslaughter, abandoning ship and other crimes. A trial is requested for the Concordia's second and third officers, its helmsman and a Costa Crociere manager.

April 10 - A judge accepts a plea bargain application from Costa Crociere, ordering it to pay a 1-million-euro (1.11-million-dollar) fine.

July 20 - A criminal trial starts in Grosseto, central Italy. Schettino is the only defendant, as all other accused enter into plea bargains with the prosecution and receive suspended jail terms ranging from 18 to 34 months.

September 17 - The half-capsized Concordia is righted.

February 1, 2014 - A Spanish diver dies during salvage operations.

February 27 - Schettino climbs aboard the Concordia for the first time since the shipwreck, as part of court-ordered inspections to collect more evidence.

July 23 - The Concordia's wreck is finally towed away from Giglio. The vessel arrives at the port of Genoa for scrapping on July 27. Nearly two years on, breakage operations are almost complete.

November 3 - The remains of the last missing victim - India-born waiter Russel Rebello - are found inside the wreck during its dismantling.

December 12 - Schettino is questioned in the trial and says "a stupid mistake" led to the disaster, referring to the lack of communication between himself and other crew members on the deck.

February 11, 2015 - Schettino is found guilty and sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment. The prosecution had asked for 26 years. As is customary in Italy, the captain is not jailed because the verdict can be appealed.

May 5 - A labour court in Genoa rejects an unfair dismissal case Schettino filed against former employers Costa Crociere.

April 28, 2016 - Schettino's appeals trial opens in Florence, with the prosecution asking for a stiffer, 27-year jail sentence. In later hearings, defence lawyers call for his acquittal, arguing there is no proof of his guilt.

Last update: Tue, 31/05/2016 - 10:46
Author: 

More from Europe

New bird flu virus type discovered in northern Germany

A new variant of bird flu has been discovered in domesticated animals in the northern German state of Schleswig-...

EU experts: Merkel has been main target of fake news

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been the main target of fake news campaigns in Europe, including disinformation...

Romanian president plans referendum to save anti-corruption law

Romanian President Klaus Iohannis wants to hold a referendum on the country's plans to ease corruption laws, he said...

Seven casualties, 22 missing at Italian avalanche-struck hotel

The death toll at an Italian hotel buried by an avalanche last week has risen to seven, while 22 guests and staff...

Sinn Fein names new party leader for Northern Ireland

Sinn Fein on Monday announced a new leader for the Northern Irish branch of the party, following the decision by...