A half-dozen people in a northern German town required medical attention during the weekend after they ate pieces of a cake that had been baked with cannabis oil, according to police.
It is not known if they were aware that there was cannabis in the cake they were eating. The incident came to the attention of authorities after medical teams in the town of Ribnitz-Damgarten were summoned to aid six people who began suffering nausea and vomiting in rapid succession.
Four were taken to hospital.
Authorities determined that all of the sick had eaten pieces of a chocolate cake baked by a mutual acquaintance.
When police confronted the 42-year-old baker, he confessed to putting a few drops of cannabis oil into the batter. He was then overcome by the effects of his own baking, suffering a vomiting incident in the middle of his police questioning.
Police are now investigating a possible case of criminal assault and violations of drug laws.