The Chief Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), Serge Brammertz, said on Thursday that his office had taken note of the acquittal of Vojislav Seselj and that after a careful review of the Trial Chamber's reasoning, in a few days his office would determine whether there are grounds for an appeal.
"The Office of the Prosecutor takes note of today’s verdict. We fully understand that many victims and communities will be disappointed by the Trial Chamber’s judgement.
We will carefully review the Trial Chamber’s reasoning that led to this outcome, including the dissenting opinion and the Trial Chamber’s findings that depart from the consistent jurisprudence of the Tribunal. We will then determine whether there are grounds to appeal the judgement;" Brammertz said.
Brammertz said he expected the Trial Chamber to consider evidence presented during the trial and rule on whether there had been any individual responsibility of the defendants for the crimes committed.
You've seen that the Trial Chamber has made a much broader analysis and we believe that this is not in line with the factual reality, but it is too early for any conclusions, Brammertz said, adding that there are a certain number of elements in the acquittal which he considered to be factually inaccurate.
Tuesday, May 3, 2016 - 11:58