A Berlin aid group at the centre of a fabricated account of a refugee dying while queueing outside a registration centre is receiving threats, a spokeswoman said Thursday.
"We are being threatened," said Diana Henniges of aid group Moabit Hilft.
The group had been receiving emails containing personal attacks, while a dead bird had also been found on the doormat outside the office, according to the spokeswoman.
"They're at our door. It's getting personal," Henniges said.
The attacks mainly targeted the two "faces of the initiative," Henniges and Christiane Beckmann, who have been accused of embezzling donations and fabricating the story about the alleged refugee death.
Henniges has rejected both accusations.
A volunteer claimed last week that a refugee had died after waiting for days in the queue outside the Lageso refugee registration centre in Berlin.
Moabit Hilft had confirmed the claims before the volunteer confessed to police only hours later he had made the story up. The case received nationwide attention among concerns that Germany was unable to cope with the increasing number of refugees coming to the country.
The volunteer at the centre of the case was no longer working for Moabit Hilft, Henniges said.
"It is better for him and also for us if our paths don't cross," she said, adding the man had damaged the group's credibility.