Belgian authorities arrested five people on Friday in relation to deadly terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels, but were still verifying whether they included sought-after men present during last month's attacks on the Belgian capital.

Last November, 130 people died in attacks on bars, restaurants, a sports stadium and a concert venue in Paris. On March 22, three suicide bombers killed 32 people at the Brussels international airport and the city's Maelbeek underground station.

Friday's arrests provide new indications of connections between the two sets of attacks. The Islamic State extremist group has claimed responsibility for both.

The arrested suspects include Mohamed Abrini, who had been the subject of an international arrest warrant since November, after police found video footage of him driving a Renault Clio car that was later used in the Paris attacks.

Surveillance cameras had recorded him together with Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam at a gas station in northern France two days before the attacks in the French capital.

The prosecution confirmed Friday that they had found Abrini's fingerprints and DNA in the Renault Clio, as well as at two addresses in Brussels linked to the Paris and Brussels attacks.

Abrini and Abdeslam had also rented an apartment outside of Paris where some of the suicide bombers stayed just before the attacks there, the Belgian prosecution said.

Following Abrini's arrest Friday, Belgian media reported that he was "more than likely" to be a fugitive attacker who fled the Brussels airport on March 22, leaving behind an explosive device.

But the prosecution said it was too early to say if they had arrested the suspect who has become known as the "the man with the hat," based on video surveillance images of him.

"At the moment, the investigators are verifying whether Abrini can be positively identified as being the third person present during the attacks in Brussels National Airport," said prosecution spokesman Eric Van Der Sypt.

On Thursday, Belgian prosecutors had asked for the public's help in gathering more evidence about the man.

Friday's arrests also included a man identified as Osama K, the prosecution said. He had been picked up in the German city of Ulm and brought to Belgium on October 3 in a rental car hired by Abdeslam.

Osama K - who also went by the alias of Naim al-Ahmed - was named by Belgian media as Swedish national Osama Krayem.

Osama K may have been present at the suicide bomb attack in the Maelbeek underground station, the prosecution said Friday. Media had previously reported about a second metro attacker, but officials had not confirmed it.

"The investigators are now verifying whether Osama K can be positively identified as being the second person present at the time of the attack in the Maelbeek subway station," the prosecution spokesman said.

That second person was seen in the company of the metro attacker Khalid El Bakraoui a while before he blew himself up, Van Der Sypt said. He was also filmed at a shopping mall in central Brussels buying bags used in the airport attack.

A second man identified as Herve B M was arrested on Friday morning with Osama K. Two other people were also arrested with Abrini, who was seized later in the day in the Brussels neighbourhood of Anderlecht, the prosecution said.

Police had earlier described Abrini, a 31-year-old Belgian national, as "dangerous and probably armed." His brother died in Syria after joining Islamic State, the Belga news agency reported.

Belgium's coordinating unit for threat analysis, OCAM, decided Friday to keep the country at security level 3 - the second-highest position - indicating a possible and likely menace, according to Belga.

The decision came after an evening meeting of Belgium's national security council, which includes Prime Minister Charles Michel, police chiefs and intelligence services, as well as OCAM.

Meanwhile, the Belgian royal palace praised those involved in Friday's operations.

"Congratulations and thank you to all those who enabled the arrest of two presumed terrorists," the palace wrote on Twitter.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.