Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann vowed early Friday to proceed with plans to limit the number of asylum requests his country will accept this year, despite EU pressure to postpone the controversial and potentially illegal measure.

"We said that we will take 37,500" asylum applications for this year, he told journalists after talks with his EU counterparts at a summit in Brussels. "That is the political decision and it has to be implemented in accordance with the law."

"There is nothing to delay, there is nothing to change," he added.

Vienna had set the limit in January, a fraction of last year's 90,000. On Wednesday, Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner announced that the entry of refugees at the border would thus be limited to 3,200 per day for people transiting to other European countries, and to 80 for those who seek asylum in Austria.

But fears are rife that the move will set off a domino effect, leading Western Balkan nations to also clamp down on the movement of asylum seekers and creating a humanitarian crisis in Greece, where most refugees currently arrive from Turkey before moving on north.

"We must remain united and show solidarity, but united and with solidarity everywhere, not only in the north-western side of Europe," Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras told journalists in Brussels.

Balkan countries are already following Austria's cue with plans to stop migrants at their borders.

Slovenia is in the process of giving the army authority to police borders, while Macedonia began reinforcing and expanding a mesh and razor-wire fence on the path of migrants arriving from Greece.

In Belgrade, the minister in charge of migration, Aleksandar Vulin, said: "Serbia will do as Austria does."

The police chiefs of Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and Macedonia, meanwhile, signed an agreement in Zagreb with immediate effect to screen migrants at the Macedonian border and transport them on to Austria and Germany, Croatian state TV HRT reported.

This came despite a summit call by the EU leaders for an "end to the wave-through approach" along the Western Balkan migration route.

Several leaders demanded that Austria postpone the introduction of its quota until their next regular meeting on March 17-18, sources said on condition of anonymity.

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said the talks were tense, with a division "between those who believe we can find solutions together and those who prefer to act alone."

Just hours earlier, the European Union's top migration official had upped the pressure by writing to Vienna that its daily and annual limits for asylum seekers were unlawful.

"Such a policy would be plainly incompatible with Austria's obligations under European and international law," EU Migration Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos wrote to Mikl-Leitner, in a letter obtained by dpa.

"Austria has a legal obligation to accept any asylum application that is made on its territory or at its border," he added.

But Mikl-Leitner defended her policies by pointing to similar daily quotas by neighbouring Germany, which had resulted in up to 18,000 migrants being stranded temporarily in Austria last year.

She also told dpa that her country's tighter border policies were needed to keep nationalist sentiments at bay in Europe.

"These measures are not against Europe, but for Europe," said the minister, who is under pressure from growing support for the anti-foreigner Freedom Party.

The EU had put much of its hope in the migration crisis on Turkey, but has had limited success so far in getting the country to hold back migrants.

The leaders called early Friday in a joint statement for "further, decisive efforts" from Ankara and "a substantial and sustainable reduction of the number of illegal entries from Turkey into the EU."

If this does not materialize, "the talks about closing the borders of central Europe and securing the borders of the Western Balkans will become a new reality," Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka warned.

The EU is now planning a summit with Turkey in early March to discuss the migration crisis, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said.

"I am very satisfied with the [EU summit] discussion," she added.

The leaders agreed that a deal struck with Turkey to stem migrant flows - in exchange for financial aid and closer political ties - "remains a priority and we must do all we can to succeed," EU President Donald Tusk said.

"We have confirmed that there is no alternative to a good, intelligent and wise cooperation with Turkey," European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker added.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.