Police in Germany have taken a 27-year-old alleged Islamic State supporter back into custody, investigators said Friday, after having released him earlier.
The Muslim convert - whose name has not been published due to Germany's strict privacy laws - was first detained Wednesday in the eastern German state of Brandenburg over a feared terrorist attack but was released the next day when a raid turned up no evidence of a plot.
Police had previously said they believed the man, a German national, was a sympathizer of the extremist group Islamic State after a search of his apartment turned up a weapon, military-style equipment and Islamic State material.
Security sources told dpa earlier in the week that the man had possibly been planning to attack a festival in Eisenhuettenstadt, a town near the Polish border, with explosives later this month.
A 30-year-old acquaintance of the man, who was detained on Thursday, remains in custody, police said.
That man, who is also a Muslim convert from Eisenhuettenstadt, was suspected of planning a bomb attack, police said. His name has also not been released.
Arrest warrants for both men have been issued, according to a police statement Friday.
Investigations had shown that the two had exchanged chat messages about "possible targets and methods for attacks against people and things," the statement said.
Prosecutors and police evaluated confiscated computers and storage devices and came to the conclusion that there is no concrete danger for people or any specific places, the statement said.
German officials are on high alert at the moment about terrorism following two Islamic State-inspired attacks in the country last month.
Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 20:14
Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 19:03
Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 17:49