One of the suspects in the Paris terrorist attacks was registered in Serbia when he had entered the country from Macedonia early in October, the Serbian Ministry of the Interior confirmed on Sunday.
The suspect, identified by the initials A. A., who is sought by French security services in connection with the terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday night, was registered at the Presevo border crossing on October 7 where he formally requested asylum, the ministry said in a statement.
"It was established that his details matched those of a person registered in Greece on October 3. There had been no Interpol warrant out for his arrest," the ministry said, adding that it was continuing to cooperate with the French security services.
The Belgrade-based Blic newspaper said on its website on Saturday evening that the suspect had used the Balkan migration route, using a Syrian passport issued in the name of Ahmed Almuhamed. The newspaper published a copy of the passport.
The passport was found near the body of one of the gunmen killed in the Paris attacks. Greek officials said on Saturday that the passport was used by a man who had entered Greece on October 3. "The holder of the passport passed through the island of Leros on October 3, 2015, where he was identified according to EU rules," Citizen Protection Minister Nikos Toskas said.
Croatian media said that the same passport had been registered at the Opatovac refugee reception centre in eastern Croatia, near the border with Serbia. "If the passport wasn't forged, that person passed all the procedures like any other migrant," Jutarnji List said.
"In this case Croatia did all that was necessary: he was fingerprinted, photographed and registered. If he had had a police record, he would have been sent back immediately. Since he didn't have one, he was allowed through to Hungary," Jutarnji List said, citing unofficial sources.