Croatian Audiovisual Centre (HAVC) director Hrvoje Hribar on Friday admitted that in the case of the Danish documentary "15 Minutes Croatian Audiovisual Centre (HAVC) director Hrvoje Hribar on Friday admitted that in the case of the Danish documentary "15 Minutes - The Dvor Massacre", HAVC was deluded and hoodwinked, explaining that the final version of the documentary was different from the first scenario on the basis of which HAVC decided to co-produce the film.

"The propagandists of the defeated side pushed their way into a segment of the film... That is the corrupted moment of this film which is now being dealt with," Hribar said at a news conference which was also attended by representatives of Croatian war veterans' associations that demand that Hribar step down due to that omission.

The documentary is about a massacre which happened only a few meters from a Danish UN camp in Dvor, Croatia, when nine disabled people  were executed in cold blood by a group of unidentified men on 8 August 1995 when Serb rebel forces were leaving the area which they had held under their control since 1991. The version of the documentary, directed by Danes Georg Larsen and Kasper Vedesmand, which was already shown at some festivals blames Croatia's troops for this crime. This enraged Croatian war veterans and they demand Hribar's resignation.

During the news conference, papers with the chronology of the entire case were handed to reporters.

Hribar insists that he has "no commanding responsibilities", saying that he does not read scenarios or green-light them.

"The Kingdom of Denmark is not an enemy to the Republic of Croatia, no matter how Danish UN troops behaved 20 years ago. The cultural, public and financial Denmark is on our side," Hribar said, adding that changes to the documentary should be conducted in cooperation with the Danes rather than severing the diplomatic relations over the issue of one producer.

Nevertheless, war veterans who came to the news conference insisted on Hribar's resignation, wondering why Hribar now is trying to depict himself as a victim and not as a responsible person.

The directorate of the Croatian national broadcaster (HRT) has stated that it fully distances itself from the controversial documentary.

"It is true that the HRT sold 24 minutes of its archive materials, and a small part of that was used in the film, and an HRT employee was engaged in the work on that part, however, the HRT was not a co-producer and does not stand behind that film," the national broadcaster has said in a press release.

The HRT is conducting an internal investigation so as to establish all circumstances concerning the said documentary and find out if any damage has been done to the HRT.

Related stories

Film historian Daniel Rafaelic appointed HAVC acting director

HRT, HAVC, composers against lower HRT licence fee

Hana Jusic debut film wins FEDEORA Best European Film Award

Danish comedy being filmed in Istria

Latest news

Two charged for racially insulting actor Jamie Foxx in Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik police will bring misdemeanour charges against two men for disturbing the peace on Sunday night in a local restaurant when they racially insulted African American actor Jamie Foxx, who is currently in Dubrovnik filming "Robin Hood: Origins".

Opposition youth leader arrested in Zimbabwe

Zimbabwean police on Monday arrested an opposition youth leader on charges of inciting public violence against the government of President Robert Mugabe, the youth leader’s lawyer said.

Turkey dismisses 227 judges and prosecutors

Turkey's top judicial body on Monday dismissed 227 judges and prosecutors who are accused of having links to a cleric blamed for last year's coup attempt, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Germany vows to do all it can to free journalist detained in Turkey

The German Foreign Ministry on Monday hailed German-Turkish journalist Deniz Yucel as a symbol of free speech as it vowed to treat his case with the "utmost importance" in order to secure his release.

Minister: State of education system not disastrous, Croatia leads in some indicators

Croatian Science and Education Minister Pavo Barisic has opposed assessments that the situation in the education system is disastrous, underlining that according to some indicators, Croatia is among the best European countries, as evidenced by the fact that as many as 97% of teachers attend seminars and lectures, a rate much above the European average.

Le Pen says al-Assad is better solution for Syria than Islamic State

France's far-right leader and presidential candidate Marine Le Pen said Monday that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad remains the more reassuring solution for France than Islamic State.

Residents in northern Greece oppose refugee children attending school

There were renewed clashes between angry residents and police in the northern Greek town of Oreokastro on Monday, where some locals have for months opposed children from a nearby refugee centre being taught at the local school.

Germany, France slam Russia's acceptance of Ukrainian rebel passports

EU member states Germany and France, which have been seeking to mitigate the conflict between the Ukrainian military and Russian-backed rebels in eastern Ukraine, on Monday broadly condemned Russia's recognition of rebel-issued passports.

Stier says Croatia strongly supports Kosovo, calls for enhancing economic cooperation

The Croatian minister announced a closer economic cooperation with Kosovo.

Afghanistan demands Pakistan hand over militants, shut training camps

The Afghan government has demanded that Pakistan hand over terrorists operating on its soil and close tens of terrorist training camps, the Foreign Ministry in Kabul said Monday.

Four Russian servicemen in Syria killed in vehicle bombing

Four Russian servicemen were killed and two others injured when a remote-controlled bomb exploded under their vehicle in Syria's western Homs region, Russian state media reported Monday, citing the Defence Ministry.

Iraqi forces advance in Mosul as US Defence Secretary visits Baghdad

Iraqi forces pressed on with their offensive to dislodge the extremist Islamic State militia from their stronghold in northern Iraq, as US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis landed in Baghdad on an unannounced official visit.