Thousands of citizens, concerned about the possible discontinuation of an integral curricular reform over political pressure, gathered for a protest of support for the reform in Zagreb's central Ban Josip Jelacic Square on Wednesday.

Apart from Zagreb, where teachers, students and parents were to address the rally, protests were also held in Osijek, Slavonski Brod, Virovitica, Krizevci, Varazdin, Porec, Pula, Rijeka, Zadar, Split, Korcula, Dubrovnik as well as London, Paris, Budapest and Shanghai.

The protesters in Zagreb filled the central city square, blowing whistles and trumpets and carrying balloons and banners supporting the reform.

Banners with a different position could also be seen, with one of them reading "No to the reform according to a Serb plan and programme, it's destruction of the Croatian language, culture and state."

Just before the protest, representatives of the protest organisers told reporters that the gathering was not politically motivated.

Nikola Baketa, a representative of the Croatia Can Do Better initiative, the protest organiser, gave the parliament until Friday to adopt a resolution on education as a national interest, saying that otherwise, the initiative would make a decision on further action.

The initiative also wants experts rather than politicians to have the final say in the reform process.

Asked if the opposition Social Democratic Party (SDP) was behind the protest, Baketa said that the party was incapable of organising such a protest.

Eli Pijaca Plavsic said that the current government had stopped and launched the reform five times in the last six months, but that the previous, SDP-led government had not been any better either.

Disputes over the curricular reform, which is designed to modernise the education process and teach children to think critically, erupted after the parliamentary Committee on Science and Education concluded that the national expert team in charge of the reform should be expanded with ten new members. This prompted the team's head, Boris Jokic, to say that they would not tolerate political pressure, regardless of whether it came from the political left, right or centre and that professionals should always come before politics.

The protest organiser, the Croatia Can Do Better initiative, comprises more than 300 civil society organisations and unions.

They said that the protest was not a feast, as claimed by Science and Education Minister Predrag Sustar, but a warning from citizens against using education as an instrument in political quarrels.

They underline that they want a transparent and professional process of political decision-making in the field of education.

As for yesterday's meeting between President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic, Science and Education Minister Predrag Sustar and the resigned head of the national expert team for the curricular reform, Boris Jokic, the initiative's representatives said they did not see any difference between the latest expressions of support for the reform and three previous statements.

That makes it clear that Sustar is incapable of running the sector entrusted to him and should either step down or start protecting education and the reform process from political pressure, they said.

More than 35,000 citizens have so far signed an on-line petition of support for Jokic and his team.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.