The Slavonski Brod winter centre for the accommodation of Middle Eastern refugees passing through Croatia on their way to western Europe is being dismantled after European Union leaders and Turkey hammered out an agreement on closing down the Balkan migrant route.
The temporary centre for refugees in transit was opened on 3 November 2015 as Croatia's response to urgent humanitarian needs of thousands of migrants using the Balkan route to reach Austria, Germany or Sweden.
As many as 3470,000 have passed through this centre in eastern Croatia, while the number of migrants passing through Croatia since mid-September 2015, when the refugee crisis spilled over to Croatia, has come to over 640,000.
Slavonski Brod police district director Ivan Zovak has said that no major incident had been registered in the area.
"We have tried to deal with the crisis in a highly professional, responsible manner and to help those people in distress," Zovak said.
A total of 26 various organisations have been active in the centre and they have praised our work, he added.
A total of six refugee babies were born in Slavonski Brod during the centre's operation.
The last group of 62 migrants left the centre on 13 April.
Wednesday, November 4, 2015 - 13:03
Wednesday, March 9, 2016 - 16:33
Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:51