vladimir šeks.jpg
Photograph: Hina / Denis CERIĆ /dc

Vladimir Seks, who has recently been relieved of his duties as a presidential adviser, told reporters on Wednesday there was no criminal responsibility in his role regarding the granting of a pardon to his former adviser convicted for drug abuse and possession of firearms.

"If you look at the definition of the crime of influence peddling, then you clearly see there is no criminal responsibility here," Seks told reporters when asked if he would assume criminal responsibility for exerting influence on the Pardons Commission.

He also refuted speculation that the real reason for his replacement was not the contentious pardon for his former associate, but his plan to run in intra-party elections in the Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ).

Vanja Goldberger, who had been sentenced for drug abuse and illegal possession of weapons, was Vladimir Seks's adviser when Seks was parliament speaker and as a result of Goldberger's pardon, the President has relieved Seks as her advisor on constitutional matters.

Seks confirmed to the Jutarnji List daily that he had been relieved at his own request because of Goldberger's pardon. He said that he had advocated the pardon even though the President considered that this was not right considering their relationship and as a result Seks stepped down.

Latest news

EU anti-fraud office eyeing claims against Merkel challenger Schulz

Martin Schulz, the main contender against German Chancellor Angela Merkel in upcoming elections, could face a probe for advocating questionable bonuses and promotions while European Parliament president, the EU's anti-fraud office said Thursday.

EFA calls on Croatian state leadership to protect Croatian cinema

The European Film Academy, along with the 600 Croatian professionals who signed the manifesto of "We’ve Had Enough", expressed its belief in the importance of the independence of Croatian film, and in preserving the autonomy of the existing Croatian audio visual model and the continuity of current practices.

PSA chief: We want to keep Opel German

The head of French carmaker PSA Group, which last week revealed that it was in talks to buy Opel from General Motors, said that Opel should remain German if the deal goes through.

Bayern round the clock - German champions launch own TV channel

Bayern Munich fans will be able to follow goings on at the Bundesliga record champions in a new way from next week when the club launches its own television channel.

'Weather bomb' hits transport, cuts power to 56,000 homes in Ireland

Storm Doris brought winds of up to 120 kilometres per hour to large areas of Ireland and Britain on Thursday, disrupting transport links and causing power cuts to tens of thousands of homes.

Croatia's registered unemployment rate rises to 15.4% in January

The registered unemployment rate in Croatia rose from 14.8% in December 2016 to 15.4% in January 2017, increasing for the fourth month in a row, the National Bureau of Statistics (DZS) said Thursday.

Norway's telecom group Telenor to leave Indian market

Norwegian telecommunications group Telenor said Thursday it was leaving the Indian telecom market and transferring its businesses there to Bharti Airtel.

Iraq claims advance in retaking Mosul airport from Islamic State

Iraqi forces wrested back half of Mosul's airport from Islamic State Thursday, shortly after entering the facility during their ongoing campaign to drive the extremist militia from its last key stronghold in the country.

Rights group: Video shows Cambodian police beating election candidate

A video posted on YouTube shows eight Cambodian paramilitary police beating a man identified as an opposition candidate at a Phnom Penh shopping mall, a rights group said Thursday. 

Malaysia asks Interpol to issue alert for suspects in N Korean death

Malaysia on Thursday requested that Interpol issue an alert for four North Koreans suspected of involvement in last week's killing of Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

British suspect arrested in Deutsche Telekom hacking

A 29-year-old British citizen suspected of involvement in a cyberattack that left nearly 1 million Deutsche Telekom customers without services last year has been arrested, German federal police said on Thursday.

Eight killed as bomb targets restaurant in Pakistan’s Lahore

A bomb ripped through a high-end restaurant in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Thursday, killing eight people, officials said, marking another attack amid a surge in violence by Islamist militants that has ended months of fragile calm.