A wartime special police commander, Zeljko Sacic, on Friday testified in the retrial of Frano Drljo and Bozo Krajina, indicted for war crimes in Grubori, and said he did not know who had committed those crimes.
Two former members of the Lucko Police Anti-Terrorist Unit, Frano Drljo and Bozo Krajina, who in 2014 were acquitted of the murder of six Serb civilians in Grubori village near Knin following the Croatian army and police Operation Storm in August 1995, pleaded not guilty at the start of their retrial before the Zagreb County Court this past Monday. The retrial was ordered by the Supreme Court, which upheld a prosecution appeal in late 2015.
Sacic, who had been charged with the failure to prevent this crime in separate proceedings and who has been cleared of charges, told the Zagreb court today that only because of someone's lie, he would be held responsible for the rest of his life for an attempt to cover up that crime, which was untrue.
Sacic testified that upon his arrival in the village of Grubori he had seen burnt houses and traces of explosions and concluded that there must have been armed conflicts.
"According to security assessments of the area, a group of 20-30 Chetniks, that is enemy soldiers, had been moving in the area then," the witness said.
Sacic said he had came to the village following an instruction from his superior, General Mladen Markac, to see whether civilians had been killed in that hamlet north-west of Knin, and that in the hamlet an elderly woman told him that there had been dead people including a woman and a Serb soldier, Djuro Karasovic, whose corpse he had seen.