Quotas for foreign workers determined in February, says minister

Minister of Labour and Pension System Nada Sikic on Monday said that quotas for foreign workers had been defined in February and that since then not one employer had applied for those quotas to be increased for seasonal workers.

I read about requests for quotas to be increased in the media, but there have been no official applications, Sikic said.

She recalled that quotas for foreign workers, based on requests by Croatian employers, had been defined and approved in February. She announced that in future the ministry would approach this matter differently and that based on applications for workers, if these were not available in Croatia, retraining programmes would be conducted for shortage occupations.

I am convinced that we will manage to succeed in that, she said, adding that in future that could lead to faster employment of the unemployed and that there would then be less demand to employ foreigners.

This year 3,115 work permits were approved for foreign workers and that number has been constantly declining since the start of the crisis in 2008, when 10,000 permits were granted - 7,700 of which were for new workers. Serious cuts in quotas for foreign workers began in 2013 due to high unemployment.

Last update: Mon, 23/05/2016 - 21:16
Author: 

More from Croatia

Hungarian icebreakers arriving on Danube in Croatia

Two Hungarian icebreakers are arriving on the Danube in Croatia this afternoon because of low air temperatures which...

Veterans, Tudjman, Racan deserve credit for Croatia's int'l recognition, SDP official says

The City of Rijeka and Primorje-Gorski Kotar County on Monday organised a commemoration in the northern Adriatic...

HBOR grants EUR 48.3 mln loan to 4 Agrokor companies

The Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development (HBOR) has granted a EUR 48.3 million loan to four companies...

Round table for stepping up food import control

Croatians mostly eat quality food, notably if it is domestic, but it is necessary to step up the control of cheap...

Serb rebel accused of expelling Croats from Knin

The Split County Prosecutor's Office has indicted a 59-year-old Serbian citizen for ordering the terrorising and...