Economy Minister Tomislav Panenic said on Thursday that without a final agreement between the two largest shareholders in the INA oil company -- the Croatian government and Hungary's MOL -- it was inappropriate to make decisions such as one on sending crude oil from the Sisak refinery to Rijeka for refining, which may mean that the Sisak plant will be closed down.

"Without a final agreement between the two largest shareholders in INA, the Republic of Croatia and MOL, I think it is inappropriate to undertake such activities. I appeal to everyone involved for understanding, this should pass through all the bodies, not just the executive directors, whose existence is questionable, but it must be presented to the Management, the Supervisory Board and of course the shareholders' assembly," Panenic told the press after a meeting with the Croatian representatives on the INA Management and Supervisory Boards and union representatives.

The New Solidarity union, which operates at INA, said last week that MOL was planning to transport crude oil from domestic fields by rail to be refined at the Rijeka refinery rather than in Sisak, warning that this might lead to the closure of the Sisak plant.

According to media reports, Bengt Oldsberg, INA Executive Director of Refining and Marketing, has sent an email to staff in his department about the transport of crude oil from Sisak to Rijeka, saying that plans had to be made for the dismantling of the refinery and how it would affect the business plan for 2017.

Panenic said that today's meeting discussed the possible transport of oil from the Sisak refinery to the Rijeka refinery, the indications that this might be an attempt to wind down the Sisak plant, and how to protect the interests of INA and its workers.

He said that before the new government was formed, the present caretaker government would carry out all the necessary decisions to ensure INA's functioning and would be closely following all activities.

"We will maintain the position that the government supports the arbitration process and that we want to reach an agreement with MOL on future operations within the company itself," Panenic said.

Asked if the government had any plan and what would happen with the Sisak refinery in the next three to six months, Panenic said that he could discuss this plan had the present government continued its work.

"There is no danger that the company will not be able to make decisions or that there will be no one to represent the interests of the Republic of Croatia," the minister said, recalling that the government had extended the terms of the present members of the INA Management Board appointed by Croatia and had appointed new Croatian members of the Supervisory Board.

He noted that the participants in the meeting had agreed that Croatia's interests were protected.

"The Sisak refinery is operating and the jobs there are safe," Panenic said when asked if the workers should fear for their jobs. He added that it should be taken into account that the entire environment in which energy companies were operating was very unstable and that companies were facing a lot of problems because of low prices.

Asked if the plan to send crude oil from Sisak to Rijeka was a prelude to redirecting domestic oil to Hungarian refineries within several months, Panenic said that that would not be easy to do. "Of course, there are some other mechanisms that can be used to prevent such activities. It is not a prelude because that will not happen," he added.

Answering questions from the press, Panenic said that INA's operations should be brought into accord with the laws of Croatia, namely the Companies Act.

He reiterated that the arbitration was continuing and that a ruling could be expected by the end of the year. "This process is continuing, but at the same time communication is beginning in order to reach an agreement with MOL as a partner."

Asked about the purchase by INA of the 33.5% stake which MOL had in the Bosnian energy company Energopetrol, whereby INA acquired 67% of shares and became the majority owner, Panenic said that this was a business decision made by the company. He said that members of the INA Management Board had told him that the move would contribute to the company's positive performance and operation and that he supported the decision.

Related stories

Minister disgruntled over transfer of oil to Rijeka refinery

No decision in INA to close Sisak Refinery

Panenic accuses MOL of intending to close Sisak refinery

Group slams attempt to close Sisak oil refinery

Croatian PM: INA strategic company and priority for gov't

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.