Minister says Croatia looking for 1,591 people gone missing in 1991-95 war

The fourth register of people who went missing in Croatia during the 1991-95 Homeland War was presented in Zagreb on Friday, with Veterans Affairs Minister Predrag Matic saying the register contained the names of 1,591 people.

The register, released in May this year, is a result of cooperation between the Veterans Affairs Ministry's department for imprisoned and missing persons and the Croatian Red Cross, with verification and consent from the Serbian Red Cross and the Serbian Commission for Missing Persons and in consultation with the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Matic said that during his term in office no distinction was made in the search for persons gone missing in the war in 1991 and Serbs gone missing during the Croatian military and police operation "Storm" in 1995, underlining that the passage of time was the main obstacle to finding any real leads to find the missing.

Matic said that all information on missing persons was checked and that the whereabouts of around 400 missing persons had been established during his term in office. He noted that cooperation with the Serbian side was improving and that this trend was expected to continue.

Numerous political and public figures attended the presentation of the register including officials of the Croatian and Serbian Red Cross organisations as well as many families of the missing.

Last update: Fri, 30/10/2015 - 15:55
Author: 

More from Croatia

PM: Croatia must be leader in resolving problems in region

Croatia has great political responsibility as a stabilising factor in the region and a member of NATO and the EU,...

Interior Ministry dismisses HRW's claims that police are forcing aslyum seekers back to Serbia

The Croatian Ministry of the Interior on Friday dismissed as untruths and insinuations the claims by Human Rights...

French airlines and tour operators expanding their services to Croatia

French low-cost airlines Volotea and Transavia and online travel agency Karavel plan to expand their services to...

EUR 7 mln grant ensured for reconstruction of Osijek fortress

An agreement was signed on Friday in Osijek for a 7 million euro (about HRK 52 million) from the Europe Union for a...

Ukrainian president sees Croatia as trustworthy partner

Croatia is a trustworthy partner of Ukraine and we find Croatia's experience valuable in our struggle for...