First Deputy Prime Minister Tomislav Karamarko said on Saturday he was absolutely confident that the Conflict of Interest Commission would find that he was not in a conflict of interest because of a contract between his wife's company and the company of his friend and MOL lobbyist Jozo Petrovic, and that he was willing to bet that the government would complete its term.

"I'm confident that the Commission will tell the truth, which is that there was no conflict of interest at all. Can I perform my duties? Of course I can. I exempted myself from any decision making on (Croatian oil company) INA and (its majority shareholder, Hungary's) MOL if I find myself in the position that the government is doing or deciding anything about that. I haven't been in that position so far. There have been some unofficial talks between colleagues, but also my clearly stated positions on MOL, INA, arbitration proceedings and national interests," Karamarko told Media Servis.

He said his wife Ana would prove with the documents she would submit to the Conflict of Interest Commission that she did not deal with energy, MOL or INA in her business dealings with Petrovic's company, only with public relations.

Karamarko dismissed suspicions concerning his talks, in his capacity as president of the HDZ party, with Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto when his wife was under contract to the MOL lobbyist.

"We didn't talk either about INA, MOL or arbitration proceedings. What was significant, as stated by Szijjarto recently, was that they didn't communicate with the previous (Croatian) government. I think we must communicate and that our government mustn't continue with the policy of (previous Croatian PM) Zoran Milanovic, who had us in a row with everyone. And I mean everyone. At one point Croatia was sort of isolated. So, that was the topic," Karamarko said.

He went on to say that the arbitration proceedings between Croatia and MOL were "going on... But I can reiterate what the prime minister said a few days ago, and I before him. While the arbitration is under way, we must talk with our neighbours for Croatia's interests." He reiterated that losing the proceedings could cost Croatia billions of kuna.

Karamarko said he did not expect unconditional support from anyone but that one should wait for the Conflict of Interest Commission decision, and that he would not be disappointed if some MPs of the HDZ's coalition partner Bridge were to vote for his impeachment, which was initiated by the opposition SDP. "I'm not tied to any office. I resigned when it was necessary."

As for the partnership with Bridge and speculation about a reshuffle in the ruling majority after intra-party elections in the HDZ next weekend, Karamarko said he would do his best "for the government to survive in this configuration."

"But I should say that this government will last as long as the HDZ supports the government. Everyone else can drop out of the combinations making up the foundation of this government, but if the HDZ drops out, this government is no more. And we can't do that," he said, adding that he was not for a new election because it would be a waste of time, "and a waste of time would be a luxury in these critical and turbulent times for us."

He also said he was absolutely confident that the government would complete its term.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.