First Deputy Prime Minister and Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) leader Tomislav Karamarko said in Konavle on Saturday that he firmly supported Culture Minister Zlatko Hasanbegovic and would not allow the Opposition to replace ministers of the Patriotic Coalition through the media, as well as that he expected Prime Minister Tihomir Oreskovic to co-sign President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic's request for the replacement of the Security-Intelligence Agency (SOA) chief Dragan Lozancic in the next few days.

Answering questions from the press after an event marking the 26th anniversary of the HDZ branch in Konavle, Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Karamarko said that Hasanbegovic was not a burden on the government.

"Why should he be a burden? We back him and his statement. It started with (former Veterans Minister) Crnoja, and has continued with Hasanbegovic. Who is next? How much should we tolerate the Opposition's replacing our ministers through the media? That's out of the question, this is where we draw the line," said Karamarko.

Answering a reporter's question, he said that there would be a lot of inquiries in SOA because there had been indications of irregularities in its work and that time would show in which ways Lozancic had violated the law.

He stressed that he did not agree with colleagues from the Bridge party who believed that the parliament's Committee on National Security should discuss Lozancic's replacement before Oreskovic co-signed it.

"President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic said that Mr Lozancic no longer enjoyed her trust and that part is clear. The replacement is expected to be confirmed in the next few days. The Prime Minister has taken some time to study the whole case, which is legitimate," said Karamarko.

Asked to comment on a letter by Serb National Council president and member of Parliament Milorad Pupovac in which he said that intolerance in society had grown to proportions which he had not experienced even in the early war-time 1990s, and that people were shouting insults at him and calling him a Chetnik, Karamarko said that he was against any rude behaviour towards anyone.

"I condemn such incidents, that's lack of manners. Mr Pupovac must know that as a member of an ethnic minority he is not threatened and that he enjoys the maximum rights. We appreciate our fellow citizens of Serb ethnicity and cooperate with them and we make no distinction whatsoever between Serbs, Croats, Czechs, Slovaks, etc. There can be individuals (who cause such incidents) but Mr Pupovac too can sometimes be clumsy with his statements. Nonetheless, I condemn such rude messages," he said.

Asked if the announced replacement of Croatian Radio and Television director Goran Radman was about purging the media, Karamarko said that Radman's replacement was not about purging the public administration.

"I am not satisfied with that public service which we all pay. That television is in the service of one party and serves to destroy the political cooperation between Bridge and the HDZ. Mr Radman should leave and that structure should start acting professionally and objectively," he said.

Asked about his possible testimony in the German trial of former Yugoslav and Croatian intelligence chiefs Zdravko Mustac and Josip Perkovic, Karamarko said that the SOA had assessed that it would not be good for him, as a former SOA head, to testify because a SOA official had already given an opinion on the document over which he (Karamarko) was summoned to testify in the trial.

Asked about the government's planned projects for southern Croatia, the issue of the Prevlaka peninsula and the Peljesac bridge, Karamarko said that Dubrovnik-Neretva County was a priority.

"The Peljesac bridge is the top priority and we will build the bridge. We have to resolve the issue of Prevlaka with our neighbours as soon as possible," he said.

In his speech at the commemoration of the 26th anniversary of the Konavle HDZ branch, Karamarko said that a big monument to first Croatian president Franjo Tujdman would be built in Zagreb, that Zagreb Airport would be named after him and that the names of some streets and squares would be changed.

Criticising the former, SDP-led government, Karamarko said that 93,000 Croats had left the country for Germany during their term in office.

He repeated that there were indications that "ballots were counted in an unusual way" on election night and that he had considered Bridge's demand that he should not be Prime Minister "for 26 or 38 seconds".

"My taking a step back then was good for Croatia. Everything possible had to be done to oust the Communists," the HDZ leader said.

Related stories

Hasanbegovic: Pupovac won't be choosing personnel in new gov't

Karamarko: HDZ, Bridge have same opinion of Ostojic

Deputy PM sees no reason for SOA head's dismissal

Petrov says government intensively working, no blockade

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.