The Croatian Journalists' Association (HND) and Union of Croatian Journalists (SNH) on Monday expressed concern over the situation at the national broadcaster (HRT) where in less than two months management has replaced 70 people.
Since HRT's acting director stepped into office, a speedy "clean up" has occurred at all levels and has affected almost 70 supervisors, editors, reporters, directors, cameramen, engineers and in-house lawyers, HND and SNH said in a joint press release.
There are no indications by which criteria vacant positions are being filled for supervisors and editors and the question arises whether this is of a professional nature and in accordance with HRT regulations or whether these moves are politically motivated so that the new government can be satisfied, the press release notes.
Similarly to the situation with dismissals during the term of the former director, Goran Radman, which we objected to, we object to our colleagues being fired, HND and SNH said.
All major media outlets reported criticism expressed by Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights Nils Muiznieks during his visit to Croatia last week. Muiznieks criticised the government for the situation regarding human rights and media freedom. He expressed concern over the replacements at HRT which he considered to be politically motivated and not based on professionalism.
Croatian Television did not cover this important event nor did it make mention of it in any of its programmes or on its Teletext page or on its website.