The CEO of Hungary's oil and gas company MOL, Zsolt Hernadi, who is wanted by Croatian justice authorities on suspicion of bribery, has said that there is a legal possibility in some countries to ignore the Croatian warrant for his arrest, MTI news agency reported on Thursday.
Speaking in an interview with the Hungarian business weekly Figyelo, Hernadi said he had been travelling since the middle of summer and added that he considered the Croatian arrest warrant to be in violation of the law.
He said he had complied with every request from authorities to supply documents in his case over the past two years. He said he found it strange that the warrant should still be in place after the Croatian Constitutional Court quashed the trial court's ruling in the INA-MOL case.
Hernadi was placed on Interpol's red alert list after the Croatian judiciary charged him with bribing former Croatian Prime Minister Ivo Sanader with 10 million euros to secure management rights in the Croatian oil and gas company INA for MOL.
The warrant was first issued in 2013 and was reactivated in February 2015. Being on the list means that any member state of Interpol is obliged to take him into custody and return him to the country where he is originally wanted, in this case Croatia.
The Croatian Constitutional Court has annulled the ruling in the INA-MOL case and ordered a retrial, so there is a possibility that the trials of Hernadi and Sanader will be joined.
The Croatian police have demanded an explanation from the Austrian and German police authorities why they did not comply with the European arrest warrant for Hernadi.