Five wartime Serb policemen sentenced for war crimes in 1990s

Five members of a wartime Serb police special purposes unit have been found guilty of war crimes committed in Udbina in August 1991, while two others have been acquitted for lack of evidence.

Rijeka County Court on Tuesday sentenced Dane Radocaj Gajota and Nikola Curuvija in absentia to 15 years' imprisonment. Djordje Kosanovic was sentenced to 12 years, Radoslav Korac to 10 years and Dragan Galovic to six years. Two others were acquitted of charges of direct involvement in the murder of two Bosniaks.

The charges against the seven accused were brought by the Gospic County Prosecutor's Office in 2008 based on an initial trial launched in 1992 in Knin, which was then under rebel Serb control.

In the meantime all seven became inaccessible to Croatia's judiciary and were therefore tried in absentia.

The five were found guilty of the murder of two Bosniaks who had been arrested in Udbina and taken to the command office under the command of Dane Radocaj Gajota. A third Bosniak who had been arrested with them was released.

One of the prisoners died as a result of being beaten while in detention. The other was shot and dumped in a ditch. Their bodies were retrieved a month later and handed over to their families. Five of the accused admitted to the crime during the trial in Knin.

Both the murders were assessed as war crimes because of the intention to scare off and expel the Croatian and Bosniak population in and around Udbina, the court said.

Last update: Tue, 26/04/2016 - 16:44
Author: 

More from Croatia

Grabar-Kitarovic: If there's no alternative, my office will stay at Pantovcak

Croatian President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic said on Saturday that if there was no alternative, her office would...

As many as 77% of Croatians ready to work abroad

As many as 77 percent of job seekers are ready to leave Croatia in search of work abroad, with 57% saying that they...

Grabar-Kitarovic says Lavrov appreciates her sincerity about Russia's role in SE Europe

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov appreciates honesty and we have had a good, constructive relationship for...

Filming of "Robin Hood: Origins" starts in Dubrovnik

Otto Bathurst, director of "Robin Hood: Origins", to be filmed in Dubrovnik over the next two weeks, said at a news...

4,500 children gather in Rijeka for carnival procession

Some 4,500 children gathered in the northern Adriatic city of Rijeka on Saturday for a children's carnival parade,...