Ex-minister: There was no favouritism in tendering for EU agriculture grants

Social Democratic Party (SDP) member of Parliament Tihomir Jakovina said on Friday that there had been no favouritism in tendering processes for EU grants for agriculture while he had served as agriculture minister in the previous government, adding that no damage was done because no payments were made.

"The aim of the tenders under the Rural Development Programme was to make it possible for our farmers to use EU funds as soon as possible and as much as possible. Once again, I emphatically declare that there was no favouritism in the tenders in 2015," Jakovina told the press in the Parliament.

He said that it was of vital importance that the whole system was not blocked, and that a decision should be made either to cancel the tender in question or to single out any questionable projects.

"It is very important to emphasise that no damage was done because no payments were made. Stories about murky dealings and favouritism are actually classic examples of insinuation whose purpose is to shift the attention of the public from scandals that are rocking the country," Jakovina said.

About ten days ago, the European Commission addressed a letter to the Croatian government raising objections about tenders for projects under the Rural Development Programme, and Croatia was given two months to respond to the objections, Agriculture Minister Davor Romic confirmed in Brussels on Tuesday.

He said that the EU's Anti-Fraud Coordination Service (AFCOS) was looking into 21 projects which had won tenders in which different companies owned by the same people applied for funding.

Regional Development and EU Funds Minister Tomislav Tolusic said on Wednesday that someone from the previous government should be held criminally liable for "deliberately irregular and unfair" tenders. "To allocate, as claimed by the European Commission, 400 or 500 million kuna to fictitious companies is no accident and those who did it should be brought to account," he said.

Last update: Fri, 24/06/2016 - 08:49
Author: 

More from Croatia

Interior Ministry dismisses HRW's claims that police are forcing aslyum seekers back to Serbia

The Croatian Ministry of the Interior on Friday dismissed as untruths and insinuations the claims by Human Rights...

French airlines and tour operators expanding their services to Croatia

French low-cost airlines Volotea and Transavia and online travel agency Karavel plan to expand their services to...

EUR 7 mln grant ensured for reconstruction of Osijek fortress

An agreement was signed on Friday in Osijek for a 7 million euro (about HRK 52 million) from the Europe Union for a...

Ukrainian president sees Croatia as trustworthy partner

Croatia is a trustworthy partner of Ukraine and we find Croatia's experience valuable in our struggle for...

HNiP urges probe into possible involvement of aggressors, secret services in Croatian media

The association called Croatian Journalists and Publicists (HNiP) on Friday expressed concern about developments on...