The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) on Thursday dismissed the application of Branimir Glavas against Croatia, and the Strasbourg-based court declared it inadmissible, claiming that the applicant abused his right of application before that court, the Office of the Representative of the Republic of Croatia before the ECHR stated in a press release.
Glavas had complained to the ECHR about the excessive length of criminal proceedings against him in their part before the Croatian Constitutional Court.
Explaining the reasons for declaring the applicant's complaint inadmissible, the Court said that during the proceedings before the European Court of Human Rights, the applicant told Croatian media that he had been offered "a friendly settlement with the Republic of Croatia of 2,500 euros as compensation and costs of proceedings," and that he had turned down the offer.
The ECHR finds that in this way the applicant abused his right to the complaint before the Strasbourg-based court, as he breached the rule about the confidentiality of friendly-settlement negotiations.
The applicant was also warned in advance about rules of friendly settlements.
The proceedings Glavas launched before the Croatian Constitutional Court lasted more than four years, from September 2010 to January 2015. His defence team insisted that procrastination was politically motivated.
The ECHR recalls that "by a decision of 12 January 2015 the Constitutional Court quashed the contested judgement and remitted the case to the Supreme Court."
On 12 January 2015, the Constitutional Court cancelled the guilty verdicts against Glavas in the war crime cases dubbed "Garage" and "Sellotape" in which he had been given eight years for war crimes against Serb civilians in the eastern city of Osijek in 1991.