The Croatian Library for the Blind, the only institution of this kind in the country, celebrated the 50th anniversary of its establishment this past week.
At a ceremony held in Zagreb's Vidra Theatre, the library's director Sanja Frajtag presented a chronology of events that led to the establishment of this institution.
She recalled that in 1921 the then association of educated blind persons had set up a library which ceased to exist during the Second World War.
In 1949 the Croatian Union of the Blind began converting books into Braille and helped accumulate a significant number of books to set up a library in 1965.
In 1969 the Croatian Union of the Blind opened its Braille printing house, and in 1970 the first studio for audio editions began operating.
In 2009 the Culture Ministry launched a programme to expand library services and currently 14 public libraries have 20 computers with appropriate software and hardware for the visually impaired.