default_eblnews.jpg

The companies that will build the Peljesac bridge will be known by the end of the year and construction work on the project should start in 2017, Transport and Infrastructure Minister Oleg Butkovic and Regional Development and EU Funds Minister Tomislav Tolusic said on Monday, on the occasion of the publication of a tender for the selection of the companies to build the Peljesac bridge and access roads.

Butkovic said that last week the project documentation was sent to the European Commission seeking the co-financing of construction work on the Peljesac bridge with EU funds. He said that he hoped the EU would co-finance the project with EUR 330 million, the project's total estimated value being EUR 380 million.

The tender, which will be published today and which refers to construction work on the bridge, access roads and a bypass road, will be conducted in two stages, said Butkovic. In the first stage, to last about 60 days, the bidders' legal and technical capacity will be checked, while in the second stage, the best bidder should be chosen and that is expected to happen by the end of the year, he said.

"The Peljesac bridge project has been launched and nothing can stop it now," Butkovic said, adding that there was a political and public consensus about the project.

Tolusic commended his ministry's hard work over the past five months, which he said had made it possible to send an application for co-funding to Brussels.

According to Tolusic, there is no reason why the caretaker government cannot publish the tender for the project because its implementation in the next six months would not financially burden the state.

He said that all of the available EU funding for transport projects would be directed to the Peljesac bridge as there were no other projects that were ready.

Tolusic expects the EC to grant Croatia's request for co-financing because it is founded, supported with the relevant documentation and had been presented well to Brussels.

He called on Croatian companies to organise into a consortium to bid for construction work on the project.

The Peljesac bridge is part of a road transport project linking southern Dalmatia with the rest of the country.

The total value of the project is EUR 525.9 million and the investor is the Hrvatske Ceste road company.

The Peljesac bridge, to link the Peljesac peninsula with the mainland, is expected to be 2,404 metres long. It is also expected to have two traffic lanes and two hard shoulders and to be one of the five biggest bridges in Europe.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.