Samsung announced reduced profits for the third quarter on Thursday, as the company struggles with the aftermath of the failed Galaxy Note7 smartphone.
Net profit in the July-September quarter fell 17 per cent to 4.54 trillion won (4 billion dollars) compared to the same period last year, according to a market notice filed by the South Korean technology giant.
Total revenue fell 7.5 per cent to 47.8 trillion won.
On Monday, hundreds of South Korean Note7 smartphone owners filed a joint lawsuit against the company to seek compensation after the smartphone was discontinued.
The discontinuation of production is expected to cost Samsung 3.5 trillion won in operating profit from the fourth quarter of 2016 through the first quarter of 2017, Samsung said in a statement in October.
Samsung only began selling the phone in August, but said earlier this month it was discontinuing production following a global recall and a number of reports of the devices catching fire.
The 940-dollar Galaxy Note7 was aimed at the premium end of the market, where it was intended to compete with Apple's iPhone.