Young Montenegrin killed fighting for IS

An 18-year-old man from Plav, a town in the predominantly Muslim region of Sandzak in Montenegro, was killed while fighting for the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group in Syria, the Dan daily reported on Monday.

Ernad Huseinovic was killed in a bombing attack in Syria on January 20. His family was told by Montenegrin police that they could not claim the body because of the way in which he was killed.

Huseinovic travelled to Syria via Germany where he lived for a while in Bohum and met people who helped him join the Islamists. He spent more than six months in Syria fighting alongside Islamic State, according to media reports.

He is the fourth Montenegrin national to have been killed fighting in Syria in the last two years.

The chairman of the parliamentary Security and Defence Committee, Mevludin Nuhodzic, said recently that six Montenegrin nationals were currently involved in fighting in Syria and Iraq and another three had been killed.

The Dan daily said that a week ago a group of 20 Montenegrins had attempted to reach Syria via Portugal but were stopped at Lisbon airport and sent back to Montenegro.

Nuhodzic said that some of the people who had returned from war zones were disillusioned by what they had seen there and what they had been involved in, adding that the entire society should make an effort in the process of their rehabilitation. He stressed the need to monitor the activities of such people, coordinate the work of security services and ensure daily exchanges of information with security services in neighbouring countries and partner organisations.

Last update: Mon, 08/02/2016 - 13:44
Author: 

More from Balkan

PIC Steering Board concerned about radicalism in Bosnia

The Peace Implementation Council Steering Board (PIC SB) is concerned "over the threats of radicalism and extremism...

IIzetbegovic says Croatian president doesn't respect Bosnia

The Bosniak member of the Bosnia and Herzegovina collective Presidency, Bakir Izetbegovic, on Wednesday joined other...

Serbia's president says Captain Dragan has right to Serbian legal aid

Serbia's President Tomislav Nikolic on Wednesday said that Dragan Vasiljkovic, aka Captain Dragan, has the right to...

ICTY prosecution requests life for Ratko Mladic

The Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) on Wednesday...

Ljubic agrees with president about Islamic radicalism in Bosnia

The chairman of the Croatian Parliament's Committee on Croats outside Croatia, Bozo Ljubic, said on Wednesday that...