War crimes indictment issued against 13 Bosnian Serbs

The Bosnia and Herzegovina prosecutorial authorities have issued an indictment against 13 former Bosnian Serb soldiers charging them with war crimes committed in and around Bosanski Novi, including the killing of a large number of civilians.

The thirteen men are charged with participating in the murder, expulsion and abuse of Bosniak civilians in 1992 as part of an ethnic cleansing campaign by Serb paramilitary forces.

During an attack, at least 27 Bosniaks were killed. Prior to their execution, they were abused in front of their wives and children. The victims were then forced to dig their own graves into which they were thrown after they were executed.

After the attack, the entire Bosniak population was expelled from Bosanski Novi.

In the wake of the war the men charged tried to cover up the crime and in 1996 exhumed the remains of the victims and threw them into the nearby river. This has hampered attempts to find the remains of the victims and only nine have been identified so far while the search for the others is continuing.

The prosecutors said that this was the most detailed indictment for crimes committed in Bosanski Novi which the authorities of the Serb entity of Republika Srpska have renamed Novi Grad.

The prosecution will present the testimonies of 40 witnesses and 300 pieces of material evidence in support of the charges.

Last update: Fri, 19/08/2016 - 15:23
Author: 

More from Balkan

Bosnian media: Dodik "finally" under sanctions

The news that Republika Srpska President Milorad Dodik has been placed under US sanctions for defying rulings of...

Human rights activists beaten up at talk given by JNA officer convicted of war crimes

Activists of the Serbian Youth Initiative for Human Rights were beaten up at a panel discussion in Vojvodina, which...

US imposes sanctions on Bosnian Serb leader for obstructing Dayton agreement

The United States has imposed sanctions on Republika Srpska President Milorad Dodik for obstructing the Dayton peace...

Survey shows majority of Montenegrins for EU accession

Over two-thirds of Montenegrin citizens would vote for their country's European Union accession were a referendum on...

Serbian president dismisses accusations of sabre rattling, but says is ready to go to war

Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic said on Tuesday that he was ready to resign if Serbia kept silent in the event of...