The Hague war crimes tribunal has not achieved its main goal - to contribute to the post-war reconciliation of the former Yugoslav peoples, Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said on Friday, noting that a Greater Serbia policy had never been and would never be a policy of the Serbian government and that he would "strongly oppose" the policy of Vojislav Seselj, who "is pushing Serbia into the past and into isolation from other peoples in the Balkans." 

Addressing a news conference that was televised live by the RTS public broadcaster, Vucic said that one of the three main objectives of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) had been reconciliation between peoples that waged bloody wars against one another in the 1990s.

The ICTY did not achieve that goal but rather "drove nails into the coffin of the dormant Balkans, which supposedly should again return to blood and crimes," Vucic said, adding that some of the ICTY's verdicts exposed the tribunal as a "political court rather than a legal institution."

The verdicts to Radovan Karadzic and Vojislav Seselj come at a time when Serbia is at a political, economic and moral crossroads, Vucic said, adding that the Greater Serbian policy had never been and would never be a policy of the Serbian government.

Serbia wants to be a "stable and safe country" which does not want to go back to the past and to the times of uncertainty, he stressed.

He called on "all Serbian citizens to be different from those who lecture us every day. We should respect both Muslim and Croatian victims and thus show how much different we are, we should show that we can and know how to talk to everyone and accept and understand others' pain and suffering as the pain and suffering of our own people."

Asked explicitly if he had renounced the Greater Serbia project and policies from the 1990s, when he and Seselj shared the same views in the Serbian Radical Party, Vucic said that eight years ago he returned his term to the Serbian Radical Party and renounced its policy "and won the trust of the people with a different policy."

"I believe that was the fairest thing to do. I also remind you that something did happen during those eight years," Vucic said, adding that he was not afraid of reporters' questions because his conscience was clear.

He said that demonstrating arrogance after the Seselj acquittal was a "bad message".

"We want Serbia to enjoy respect in this region... and not be made seem worse than it is," he said, adding that it would be very dangerous for the country if "such forces won the majority support of the people."

He said that he was proud that his government "has protected laws and the dignity of Serbian citizens and of citizen Seselj," whom he said he did not view with animosity but whose policy he opposed.

"We will strongly oppose his policy because it pushes Serbia back to the past, to political and economic problems and to a policy that would isolate us from all the other Balkan nations," Vucic said.

He called on Serbian citizens to unite in a policy that will make Serbia a respected country in the Balkans and elsewhere.

After the verdict in the case of Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic was announced, the Serbian government sent out "the most responsible, clear and serious" message, not wishing to comment on the content of the verdict, said the Serbian PM.

"We only said one sentence, which is that we will not allow the tribunal's verdict to be used as a basis to dismantle Republika Srpska. Those are our constitutional and legal obligations," said Vucic.

Commenting on the possibility that Seselj could be arrested if he decided to travel to Croatia, which has declared him a persona non grata, Vucic said that he hoped "the hysteria would calm down."

Serbia will "protect the interests and human rights of all its citizens", without going into the policies they advocate, he said.

As for his planned visits to Mostar and to Jasenovac, the site of a World War II Ustasha-run concentration camp, Vucic said none of those visits had been brought into question by the verdicts to Karadzic and Seselj.

"You cannot not mark the 75th anniversary of the genocide in Jasenovac, I believe that they (Croatians), too, agree with that. I will certainly visit Mostar and I expect good talks with both the Croat and Bosniak representatives. I am always ready for talks but I will not allow anyone to humiliate Serbia," said Vucic.

Related stories

Nikolic says ICTY a measure for a Serb

ICTY to deliver Seselj ruling on March 31

Serbia to ask for delay in Seselj verdict delivery

ICTY finds Seselj not guilty

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.