Serbia will ask the European Union to respond to Croatia's behaviour which is unfair, Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic has said, and other Serbian officials on Saturday, too, responded to Croatian officials' statements on the case of war crimes indictee Vojislav Seselj.

"Due to the latest outburst by Croatian Deputy Prime Minister Bozo Petrov, who has criticised our government for not transferring to The Hague-based war crimes tribunal indictee Vojislav Seselj and announced that there would be obstacles to Serbia's integration with European institutions, Belgrade will most likely send an official protest note to Zagreb," the Vecernje Novosti daily said on Saturday, noting that this plan was confirmed by Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic.

Dacic has said that Zagreb's interference in Serbia's internal matters is inappropriate.

"This is not the first time Croatia is acting unfairly and trying to stop our integration with the EU. It would be better if they first solved problems encountered by the Serbs in Croatia and complied with EU standards. Bilateral issues should be dealt with by individual countries and I expect that to continue to be the position of the EU," Dacic told Vecernje Novosti.

Serbian Deputy PM and head of the National Council for Cooperation with the ICTY, Rasim Ljajic, said that Croatian politicians had been "flexing their patriotic muscles" in relations with Serbia for months.

"We have not been giving them any reason to do so and if they continue this way, they will bring our relations to the lowest possible level, which is neither in their interest, nor in ours nor the region's or the EU's," Ljajic told Vecernje Novosti.

Minister of the Interior Nebojsa Stefanovic said that Serbia was willing to cooperate with all neighbours but that it had to react and protect national interests when conditions were being set and its citizens were being humiliated.

We will act the same way as we did in last year's "customs war", when "Croatia made an economic attack on our country, and we won with the help of the EU," Stefanovic said, confident that Serbia would achieve what was necessary to open talks on the policy areas 23 and 24 regarding justice and fundamental rights.

Stefanovic, a vice-president of the ruling Serbian Progressive Party, said that Croatia was expected to respect rights defined in those policy areas, primarily the rights of its Serb ethnic minority.

Minister of EU Integration Jadranka Joksimovic said that Serbia was already having problems in the process of its integration with the EU because of Zagreb's positions.

"We are waiting only for Croatia's approval of the EU's negotiating position for the policy chapter 23. Zagreb can slow down Serbia's integration with the EU but that would not be a good message," she said.

The Belgrade media reported that the Croatian foreign ministry had stated that to open the policy chapter 23 in its EU entry talks, Serbia had to respect minority rights, cooperate with the Hague war crimes tribunal and reform its judiciary, including the abolishing of jurisdiction for the prosecution of war crimes committed in the area of the former Yugoslavia.

Croatian Deputy PM Bozo Petrov has criticised the Serbian authorities for not having transferred Seselj to The Hague to attend his sentencing hearing, writing on his Facebook account that Serbian authorities were acting "as if this were a trial for a minor traffic offence."

Croatian First Deputy Prime Minister Tomislav Karamarko has reacted as well, saying that Croatia will respond if Seselj is allowed to decide whether to attend his sentencing hearing.

Seselj, leader of the Serb Radical Party, indicted for war crimes in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and the northern Serbian province of Vojvodina, said on Thursday that he was not interested in his sentencing hearing, to be held on March 31, and did not want to follow it from Belgrade via video link either. He also announced that he would appeal, regardless of the verdict.

The Hague tribunal decided earlier to deliver a verdict in the Seselj case in his absence, and the trial chamber in charge of his trial offered him the possibility to follow the hearing via video link from Belgrade, of which he is to inform the tribunal by March 22.

Croatian PM Tihomir Oreskovic said in Brussels on Friday that he expected Serbia "to make the right decision" in the Seselj case. Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) member of the European Parliament Andrej Plenkovic and former Parliament Speaker Vladimir Seks have said that the Hague tribunal's treatment of Seselj was wrong.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.