Non-governmental organisations from a few countries in the area of the former Yugoslavia on Wednesday presented findings of their efforts to collect evidence and documents about human losses in the wars in the early 1990s, and Croatia's Documenta NGO stated that it had registered 15,336 war casualties in Croatia, while the Belgrade-based Humanitarian Law Centre reported that 2,087 citizens of Serbia and Montenegro had been killed or gone missing in the wars in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Documenta's representative Vesna Terselic said during the presentation of those findings in Zagreb that facts about the fate of every killed or detained person were a valuable basis for confidence-building process.

This NGO started collecting evidence about war victims in 2009, and sources available to this NGO helped it to register 15,336 victims.

However, this is not the final figure, said Slaven Raskovic of Documenta, explaining that the job of registering victims with the assistance of different sources is not over yet.

Estimations made by researchers and experts about casualties among Croatian citizens go around 18,000, Raskovic said, adding that Documenta's statistics are lower but the NGO is continuing to collect evidence.

This civil society association has collected over 26,00 documents pertaining to war victims and they include court and army registers, death certificates, autopsy findings, newspaper articles, etc.

When it comes to human losses among citizens of Serbia and Montenegro in the wars in Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1,833 members of the Yugoslav People's Army (JNA), that later changed its name to the Army of Yugoslavia (VJ), and of the Serbian police were killed, plus 102 civilians and 152 citizens of those two countries whose status has not been established.

Of those 1,833 casualties, 1,111 lost their lives during the aggression against Croatia and 724 during the aggression against Bosnia and Herzegovina, while 104 were killed on the territory of Serbia, 26 were killed in Slovenia, 19 in Montenegro, and the exact place of death has not yet been established for the remaining 103 war casualties among those Serbian and Montenegrin citizens.

Regarding the death of young soldiers, born in 1970 or later, who were recruited by the JNA in 1990/1991, 609 lost their lives in those wars and of them 440 were citizens of Serbia and Montenegro, 80 were citizens of Croatia, 53 were citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina, 21 were persons whose permanent residence was in Macedonia and six were from Slovenia, and the citizenship of 9 killed young recruits has not yet been established.

NGO activists warn that a majority of young recruits were deployed in battlefields in eastern Croatia without any previous notice.

Natasa Kandic of the Humanitarian Law Centre said that it was very difficult to collect evidence and statistics about Serb and Montenegrin paramilitaries and volunteers who had gone to fight for Serb insurgents in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

According to evidence collected by the Kosovo Humanitarian Law Centre, from 1998 to the end of 2000, 13,549 people were killed or went missing during the war in Kosovo, Bekim Blakaj said.

Dzenana Karup Drusko of Bosnia and Herzegovina's NGO "Transition Justice, Responsibility and Remembrance" presented documents about 250 wartime detention camps and makeshift prisons.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.