Montenegro's role in 1991 shelling of Dubrovnik is a disgrace, says PM

What happened in Dubrovnik in 1991 is a disgrace for Montenegro and it must "never happen again because it wasn't in Montenegro's national interest," Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic said in parliament on Wednesday.

The majority of Montenegrin MPs agreed with him, although some blamed him because he was prime minister at that time too.

Opposition MPs from pro-Serb parties also blamed him for comparing "Dubrovnik in 1991 with the Battle of Mojkovac of 1916" at the main celebration of Montenegro's independence on May 21.

"After Mojkovac we lost the state and disappeared from the world's map, but after Dubrovnik we jeopardised some fundamental elements of Montenegrin society. We must learn the lesson and strictly follow Montenegro's national interests," Djukanovic said, adding that neither had been in Montenegro's interest.

Last update: Thu, 23/06/2016 - 15:03
Author: 

More from Balkan

Vucic, Zvizdic say Serbia, Bosnia committed to dialogue

Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina are committed to dialogue and cooperation, and they can enhance their relations...

Ljubljana to transport its plastic waste to Vienna incinerator

Waste plastics collected in the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana will be transported to Vienna for incineration in one...

Nikolic, Vucic to attend Brussels talks on relaxing Serbia-Kosovo ties

The Serbia-Kosovo negotiations on the normalisation of the relations between those two neighbouring countries will...

Serbia to receive additional EUR 4mn from EU for migrants

Serbia will receive an additional EUR 4 million in aid for migrants, European Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and...

Bank of China opens Belgrade branch

The Bank of China formally opened its branch in Belgrade on Saturday, which is expected to provide an additional...