Two Serbian embassy workers who had been kidnapped by extremists in Libya are believed to have died in a US airstrike on an alleged Islamic State training camp in the country, Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said Saturday.
"We received information yesterday afternoon that several foreign nationals were killed in that attack, including the two workers of our embassy," Dacic told a press conference.
"That information has not yet been officially confirmed ... but is most probably correct," he said, adding that Belgrade has asked clarification from Libya and the United States.
The two embassy staffers, telegraphist Sladjana Stankovic and driver Jovica Stepic, were kidnapped in an ambush on a diplomatic motorcade in Sabrata on November 8.
The US Department of Defence said that strike in Sabrata on Friday killed 40 people and targeted a senior member of the Islamic State, who was a key suspect in the Bardo Museum attack in Tunis, Tunisia last year, which killed more than 20 people, including tourists.
Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 21:50
Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 15:10