default_eblnews.jpg

Former Bosnian Serb political leader Radovan Karadzic, whose verdict for the gravest war crimes in Bosnia and Herzegovina, including genocide, will be handed down by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) on Thursday, has reiterated that he does not feel responsible, although he does not deny that the crimes were committed.

"There is no reasonable court that would convict me," Karadzic says in an interview which the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN) released on Wednesday.

BIRN editor in chief Erna Makcic has told Hina that the interview was conducted with the ICTY's permission. Karadzic responded in writing and the answers arrived in Sarajevo on Monday.

According to Karadzic, the fact that many Bosnian Serb political and military leaders have been convicted should not affect his verdict because those convictions were generally based on "a lot of sheer propaganda" expounded during trials.

He says that "no Serb would have been convicted" of the mass murder of civilians at Sarajevo's Markale open air market if ICTY trials had been based on UN documents.

Karadzic does not deny that war crimes were committed in Srebrenica in July 1995, but says they were exaggerated because "several hundred people with blindfolds" were killed there. He says they were killed by individuals who hid it all from their superiors, including himself.

"Those who did that are first and foremost enemies of Serbs, then enemies of those families, and then of the Muslim community," he says and suggests postponing a discussion on what happened in Srebrenica for a later time and that the discussion be held by "a competent Serb-Muslim commission".

"We could compare who was more cruel, who killed more women, children and elderly, who slit more throats, cut off more ears and genitalia, but that shouldn't be for the media but for the sake of a consensus by a just and competent Serb-Muslim commission for the truth, when the time is right. Anything else would only make matters worse," Karadzic says, although the ICTY and the International Court of Justice have found in separate verdicts that the Bosnian Serb army and police committed genocide against over 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica.

Karadzic also says that Bosnian Serb wartime military leader Ratko Mladic is not responsible for the Srebrenica crimes, otherwise he would have punished him himself.

He also says there was no genocide in Bosnia at the start of the 1992-95 war, as claimed in the indictment. "There was no genocide in 1992, only chaos which we all saw in Croatia before that and predicted that it would happen in Bosnia if we entered a civil war."

He says the problem at that time was that the Croats did not want to stay in a rump Yugoslavia, although it was definitely the best solution not only for the Serbs but for the Muslims too.

He continues to see himself as a peacekeeper and a statesman, but says that if the ICTY acquits him, he will stay out of politics and dedicate himself to his family.

"My chances in the verdict should be the same as the chances of any president of state in the modern world, neither bigger nor smaller. Courts should be aware of all presidential obligations, options and limits, and be dedicated to the truth and justice. All the evidence simply shows that the president, in such circumstances, couldn't have done anything more, and that my constant struggle for keeping the peace, preventing the war and reducing the suffering of all people, regardless of faith, represents an exemplary effort worthy of respect, rather then persecution," Karadzic says.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.