Turkey is determined to protect the Bosniaks in Bosnia and Herzegovina and will not allow crimes such as the 1995 Srebrenica genocide to be committed against them again, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said in an interview with the Sarajevo newspaper Dnevni Avaz, published on Tuesday.
"I wish to emphasise that never again will Turkey leave its Bosniak brothers and sisters," Cavusoglu said. He visited Srebrenica on Monday to attended a ceremony commemorating the 21st anniversary of the genocide.
Cavusoglu said that now everyone could see that the atrocities could have been prevented. "The United Nations were here, Europe and the whole world were here. We may well say that this crime happened under the patronage of all the observers. That should be the biggest lesson to anyone who has any doubts about the nature and scale of this crime."
He said that the Bosniaks had been killed just because they were Muslim, adding that those responsible must be punished and that the Bosniaks should build and develop the country together with the Serbs and Croats.
Cavusoglu said he still believed that the different ethnic and religious groups in Bosnia and Herzegovina could live together, but noted that it was the responsibility of the country's politicians to work on strengthening its economy and reducing unemployment to ensure that Bosnia and Herzegovina had a future.