default_eblnews.jpg

Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic has been sentenced to 40 years in prison after the UN International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) at The Hague found him guilty of genocide at Srebrenica.

Karadzic, 70, was charged on two counts of genocide and one count each of persecution, extermination, murder as a crime against humanity and murder as a war crime, deportation, inhumane acts, terror, unlawful attacks and taking hostages.

The court cleared him of genocide charges related to crimes committed in seven municipalities other than Srebrenica due to insufficient evidence to prove the intent.

A psychiatrist by profession, Karadzic emerged as the Bosnian Serb political leader shortly before Yugoslavia began disintegrating in a series of wars in 1991. His military chief, general Ratko Mladic, is still on trial at the ICTY on similar charges.

The court ruled that Karadzic was responsible for a campaign of terror with the aim of ethnically cleansing a part of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the 1992-95 war by pitting Orthodox Serbs against Muslim Bosniaks and Catholic Croats.

The campaign included the relentless shelling and sniping of Sarajevo, attacks on other towns and - in what is usually described as the worst atrocity in Europe since the Holocaust - the 1995 genocide at Srebrenica, where forces under Karadzic's command executed around 8,000 Bosniak boys and men.

ICTY chief prosecutor Serge Brammertz has described Karadzic's trial as the most important in the tribunal's 23-year history.

In an interview with the Sarajevo daily Dnevni Avaz last week, Brammertz acknowledged that many victims - after waiting 13 years for Karadzic's capture, then eight more until the sentencing - had abandoned hope in justice being served.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, welcomed the "hugely significant" verdict as a message to both victims of war crimes and those who carry them out.

"[It] is symbolically powerful ... for the victims of the crimes committed during the wars in Bosnia and across the former Yugoslavia, but also for victims across the world," he said.

"No matter how powerful they are, no matter how untouchable they imagine themselves to be ... the perpetrators of such crimes must know that they will not escape justice," Al Hussein added.

The genocide verdict against Karadzic sends a positive signal for those who seek justice for human rights violations in Syria, a senior Syrian opposition representative said.

"The trial of Radovan Karadzic certainly gives us hope," Bassma Kodmani said after the verdict was announced.

"There is an international justice out there that will certainly seek to prosecute the big criminals of Syria as well," she added, speaking on the sidelines of UN-brokered peace talks.

Karadzic is not the first Bosnian Serb convicted for the Srebrenica genocide.

His verdict adds more weight to the International Court of Justice - the UN tribunal trying cases of countries versus countries - ruling in 2007 that the Srebrenica massacre was indeed genocide committed by Bosnian Serb forces.

But Munira Subasic, head of the Mothers of Srebrenica - grouping survivors and victims' families - said she was unhappy with the acquittal for the second genocide charge.

"The survivors expect him to be found guilty of genocide also in other municipalities in the appeal," she told reporters in The Hague.

In Belgrade, Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said that the Karadzic ruling must not trigger "political or any other attack" on the Srpska Republic, the Serb part of Bosnia. 

Muslims and Croats share the other half of the country, which has been split into two "entities" to end war in 1995. More than two decades since then, mistrust and hostility keep the partition cemented, stifling Bosnia's development.

Vucic has called an emergency cabinet session for Friday, with the fallout from the Karadzic verdict on the agenda, TV B92 reported.

The United States called for members of the international community to respect the verdict and cooperate with the court.

"With the trial chamber's conviction, we move one step closer to closing yet another painful chapter in the story of the conflict in the former Yugoslavia," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.