Members of a group of radical Islamists arrested in Sarajevo earlier this week planned a deadly attack in Sarajevo on December 31 with the aim to kill as many people as possible, Bosnian chief state prosecutor Dubravko Campara said on Friday.
Campara's office decided yesterday to request a month's detention for eight of the 11 men arrested on December 22, and the State Court granted the motion today.
Explaining the motion before the State Court today, Campara for the first time confirmed reports that they were planning a terrorist attack on New Year's Eve. He said there was evidence to suggest that they were planning an attack which would have killed more than 100 people.
Those arrested planned to plant an explosive under a police car at a location where many people gather, Investigators have still not found the explosive, which was another reason why detention was requested, so the suspects could not destroy evidence.
Defence attorneys said Campara's claims were absurd, objecting to the detention and saying there was no evidence.